Department of Geophysics, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics,
Charles University, Prague
Mail address: KG MFF UK, Ke Karlovu 3, 121 16 Praha 2, Czech Republic
Phone: (+420) 22191 1424
- Graduated in geophysics in 1960
- RNDr. in 1967
- PhD in 1972
Studied the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University,
Prague, specialization geophysics (in years 1955-60, degree equivalent
to M.Sc.), has got the R.N.Dr. degree at Charles University in 1967 and
the C.Sc. degree (equivalent to Ph.D.) at the same university in 1972.
From 1960 up to now employed at Institut of Geophysics, Charles University, at first as assistant professor, now as senior research associate.
Since 1963 seismologist in charge of the seismic station PRA.
Areas of research interests:
Seismic body waves, synthetic seismograms, ray
method, PKP phases.
Pedagogical and scientific work in the field of seismology. Mainly calculation
of kinematics and dynamics of seismic body waves in 1-D and 2-D media,
using the ray method or Gaussian beams approach. Orientation to the P
and PKP phases, including their synthetic seismograms and magnitude
calibrating curves. Work abroad: University of Leipzig (Germany), Geophysical observatory CLL, 8 months (1964-65); International Seismological
Centre, Edinburgh (U. K.), 12 months (1969-70); University of Skopje
(Macedonia), Seismological observatory SKO, 3 months (1976); Public Power
Corporation Athens (Greece), 3 months (1978); Geophysical Institute Lima
(Peru), 2 months (1986). Member of the working group "Magnitude Calibrating Functions, Commission on Practice, IASPEI" and of "International
Seismolological Observing Period".
- V. Cerveny, J.Jansky;: Ray amplitudes of seismic body waves in
inhomogeneous radially symmetric media. Studia geoph. et
geod., 27 (1983), 9-18.
- V. Cerveny, J.Jansky: Fast computation of ray synthetic
seismograms in vertically inhomogeneous media. Studia geoph.
et geod., 29 (1985), 49-67.
- J. Jansky, J.Zednik, V. Karnik: Theoretical PV - magnitude
calibrating curves for deep foci. Studia geoph. et geod.,
32 (1988), 264-271.
- J. Sileny, J. Jansky: Approximative ray tracing and the
accuracy of earthquake localization in media approximated by
block structures. Studia geoph. et geod., 33 (1989), 164-176.
- J. Zahradnik et al: Focal mechanisms of selected events of the
West-Bohemia earthquake swarm 1985/86 constrained by P-wave
amplitudes. Rev. de geofisica, 45 (1989), 217-230.
- J. Zahradnik et al: A combined study of macroseismic data and
focal mechanisms applied to the West-Bohemian earthquake,
Czechoslovakia. PAGEOPH, Vol.133, No.1 (1990), 53-71.
- M. Kvasnicka, J.Jansky: Theoretical short-period PKiKP/PKIKP
magnitude calibrating curves for deep foci. Studia geoph. et
geod., 35 (1991), 203-212.
- J. Zednik, J.Jansky, V. Cerveny: Synthetic seismograms in
radially inhomogeneous media for ISOP applications. Computers
& Geosciences, Vol. 19, No. 2, (1993), 183-187.
- J. Jansky, M.Kvasnicka: Interference amplitude curves of short
period PKP waves. Studia geoph. et geod., 37(1993),151-158.
- V. Cerveny, J. Jansky: P and PKP ray amplitude-distance curves.
Acta Geophys. Polonica, Vol. 42 (1994), 247-272.